SIEPS carries out multidisciplinary research in current European affairs. As an independent governmental agency, we connect academic analysis and policy-making at Swedish and European levels.
Areas of activity and Organisation
Areas of activity
The Swedish Institute for European Policy Studies, SIEPS conducts and promotes research and analysis of European policy affairs. SIEPS strives to act as a link between the academic world and policy-makers at various levels. By publishing reports and arranging seminars and conferences, SIEPS aims to further stimulate research on the future of Europe.
The research is conducted under the following three areas:
The EU's Political, Constitutional and Economic System
The Member States and European Integration
Policies of the European Union
Annual Instruction and Annual Reports
SIEPS mission is regulated in Förordningen (2008:748) med instruktion för Svenska institutet för europapolitiska studier and by the annual instruction. SIEPS activities is annualy presented in Annual Reports. These are available in Swedish.
The Agency has 18 employees working on studies and analyses, administration and communications. Göran von Sydow is Director of the Agency. Click here for information about the staff and how to contact us.
SIEPS is a so-called enrådighetsmyndighet. This means that the Director General is responsible for its work. The government has appointed an Advisory Council to exercise public control and advise the Director General. The Director is the President of the Council.
The Advisory Council is composed of the following members:
- Lisbeth Aggestam, Associate Professor, Gothenborg University
- Anders Ahnlid, Ambassador
- Lars Calmfors, Professor in International Economics, Stockholm University
- Josefin Malmqvist, Member of Parliament
- Annika Ström Melin, Journalist
- Thomas Persson, Associate Professor, Uppsala University
- Jane Reichel, Professor, Stockholm University
- Åsa Westlund, Member of Parliament
- Oscar Wåglund Söderström, Director, National Board of Trade, Sweden